TCS iON Industry Honour Certification - Free and Open Source Software (FOSS)
Branch - Computer Science Engineering and Information Technology
The Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) course is designed to familiarise students with the development process using free and open source software, which includes Linux operating system, service configuration management, application software, and development tools. According to the 2018 Linux Foundation Report, Linux is once again the most in-demand open source skill category, a prerequisite for most entry-level open source careers. Additionally, hiring talent skilled in open source is a priority for 83% of hiring managers.
The course has been designed to ensure that students not only understand the prevalence and usage of open source software in the industry but they are also made aware of the associated risks. This awareness helps students to make informed decisions on software selection based on usage scenarios.
- Students need to perform some meaningful tasks using below tools:
- Operating System - Ubuntu 20.04, Fedora Linux, CentOS, and more
- Web - Apache Server
- Databases - MySQL, MariaDB, and more
- Installation of Content Management Systems - WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Moodle, Magento
- Programming Tools - Python IDE, latest version of Java JDK, PHP, C, C++, and more
- The above-mentioned hands-on configuration will be leveraged by students to complete the industry assignment as well as to complete Part B of the summative assessment.